The Atlantic hurricane season runs from June 1 through November 30. This year, the NOAA’s Climate Prediction Centre, a division of the National Weather Service has predicted an above-normal season. This simply means that we can expect more hurricanes than usual or more intense activity. It is no doubt that hurricane season causes some disruption to our lives, so relying on last-minute arrangements may not be advisable. To keep yourself and your family, it is best to plan in advance to minimize losses.
Here are some tips to be prepared for the Hurricane Season:
- Follow the instructions issued by your Government.
- Sign up for your online GWeb account with Gulf. This will ensure that you can report any claim online while staying safe in your home.
- Review your insurance policies. If your assets are not yet insured, please contact us for a quote. If you feel as though you are not adequately insured, it may be advisable to get a valuation of your asset done to determine the best Sum Insured.
- Keep non-perishable items handy to avoid the rush at the last moment. These may include canned foods and drinking water.
- Install storm shutters to protect your home.
- Cut all tree branches that lie close to your home.
- Keep a Hurricane Kit close by. This may contain a flashlight, batteries, radio, candles etc.
- Store all important documents in a water proof container.
- Keeps a home inventory listing. In the event of any damage, this will help you in identifying your losses, especially for claims reporting.
- If necessary, have an evacuation plan so that you and your family can easily reach to safety.
These were some the tips to help you prepare for the 2020 Hurricane Season. It is most important that you protect your assets with coverage from Gulf. This will ensure that in the event of any losses, you will be assisted back on your feet in no time.